Today I’m excited to be sharing 51 journal prompts for self improvement. I hope they help you like they have helped me!
In the last 8 months or so, I have had a massive mental shift that has spilled into the rest of my life in the best way possible (you can read about the 16 habits that changed my life here).
I have literally grown into a growth mindset, and it’s easier said than done. It started with a few planted seeds. Then I took a few small steps. And before I know it, a few small steps snowballed into a massive boulder, rolling downhill with so much energy behind it that I don’t think it will ever stop.
It’s spilled into my physical habits, my mental habits, my emotional well being, and has affected the people closest to me because they hear about it and have taken awesome steps towards becoming their best selves, too!
Your mindset is either your greatest weapon in your arsenal or your greatest challenge to overcome, and you alone are responsible for it.
If you tend towards glass half empty like I used to, there’s lots of room for improvement. If you think of yourself as a generally positive person, there is still room to improve! Grab what resonates with you, and leave what doesn’t.
Work towards a growth mindset with these 51 journal prompts to help you grow today
I answered a few to get your wheels turning.
- Name 10 things I do well. Keep the house tidy, love my kids, encourage others, shape good character in my girls, support my husband, write, smile at others, show kindness, give people the benefit of the doubt, & help people.
- What are 10 of my strengths?
- What 5 things I could improve on and how?
- Name a time when I intentionally did the right thing.
- When have I intentionally forgiven someone? How did it make me feel to do so?
- What are 10 small things I’m thankful for? Sunshine, acoustic music, dark chocolate, candles, hugs, my girls telling me they love me, the way my girls love each other, a warm house on a cold day, growth, & iced coffee.
- What are 10 things that bring me joy?
- When was the last time I looked at someone and felt a love rush?
- What is something I do that makes someone else’s life easier?
- How am I actively serving others with my life?
- How do I practice intentionality in monotonous moments of everyday life?
- What are 5 of my passions in my life? Jesus, being the best mom I can be, encouraging mamas, birth, & nurturing my marriage.
- How have I been intentionally kind today? – or – How could I be intentionally kind today?
- What have I done to take care of myself this week?
- What is something I really enjoy doing?
- Where could I carve out time to do it this week?
- How can I create laughter in my home today?
- What could I do with the time if I took an hour today to break free from screens?
- When was the last time I got lost in a good book?
- How can I express love to my children/significant other?
- What am I doing to take care of my body today?
- In what ways can choosing a soft voice and positive language affect my day to day life?
- How has my mindset held me back? Fear has limited me from reaching my full potential.
- How has it propelled me forward?
- Do I fully feel emotions or push them away?
- What form of support do I need right now?
- How can I ask for help right now?
- What will give me courage when I’m going through a hard time? Trusting in Jesus to take care of me and giving up the right to understand everything.
- Name the three main emotions I’m feeling in this moment.
- Can I pinpoint what exactly is behind the emotions?
- What are the best things in my life right now?
- What is something every one of my senses is taking in right now (sight, hearing, taste, touch, smell)?
- Am I feeling overstimulated? If so, how can I minimize my external stimulation?
- How does being overstimulated affect my mental and emotional wellness?
- What makes me feel overwhelmed? Feeling like I’m running out of time, a lot of noise, feeling like I have to do everything by myself.
- Name 3 tools can I use to get through feeling overwhelmed.
- What is unhealthy in my life that would help me to release?
- Am I my own biggest cheerleader, or my own hardest critic?
- What would I do if I knew I could not fail?
- Name 5 of my biggest dreams for my life? Work from home successfully, travel the world, give my kids amazing life experiences, adopt, have a lifelong, happy marriage.
- What baby steps can I take toward those ultimate goals today?
- How can I be a good steward of my time?
- Do I squander time? How so?
- What is the best use of my time today?
- Am I holding unforgiveness towards anyone?
- In what ways would that free me to choose to release unforgiveness?
- When was the last time I encouraged someone I loved?
- Who is most special to me and why?
- What do I want from my life in 10 years?
- Does the media I’m taking in encourage me (music, books, podcasts, TV, etc.)?
- Choose 3 affirmations or scriptures that are meaningful to you to hold on to this week. Repeat them often until you know them in your sleep.
I hope you enjoyed these journal prompts for self improvement and that they stimulated something in your heart!
If you did, please share with a friend and leave a comment below telling me which one(s) resonated with you and why. I’d love to hear from you!
Until next time!