I absolutely LOVE getting professional pictures done! But when money is tight, it can be hard to swing. That’s why I knew when I was pregnant with babies two and three, I knew I had to come up with a cheaper version of a cute pregnancy announcement! It’s so easy, anyone can do it! All you need is a few props, a little staging area, and a camera.
The last two times we learned that our family was growing again, I knew I had to think a little more frugally for these sweet ones’ pregnancy announcements than the professional session we had done for the first kiddo.
Pin it for later here.
If you’re in the same boat, I got you!
To do a pregnancy announcement similar to what we did, you’ll need:
- Your people!
- A park or naturey scene somewhere nearby
- Nice weather
- A camera or phone with a camera
- Ultrasound pictures (preferably not cut)
- A big sister/brother book if it’s not your first baby
- “Oh baby” onesie or something similar
- Props > I used some flower stems I already had from Hobby Lobby and a calendar from Etsy with a heart around my due date.
We did our pregnancy announcement in September for Lexi, but I also did a Valentine’s themed one to friends and family when I was pregnant with Ella! We’ll share on that in a minute. 🙂
- Fruit or another item that coordinates with how many weeks pregnant you’ll be when you announce
- Photo editing app (I used PicMonkey)
- Friend to take family pictures
- M&Ms for smiles!
- Big sister/brother shirts
- With the holidays coming up, I have to say something about a little turkey in the oven would crack me up!
- OR if you want to go a little later, how about a small gift under the tree between 2 (or however many) bigger gifts?
- Snowmen. If you have the skill to craft a mini one inside a mama one, that would go viral. I am not that person but if you can, you should.
*Note: except for the watermark at the bottom and the text on the first photo, these photos are all totally unedited. I have a Galaxy Note 9.
Okay, that’s cool if it’s nice out! What about if it’s cold or been raining for 3 months straight? Well, I was in that boat when I was pregnant with Ella bug. Weather in the Midwest gives zero cares if you have plans.
We purposely waited to do hers a little later to do a Valentine’s themed announcement with Sophia but did our announcement to family on Christmas.
I wrapped a little pea up in a box (for 6 weeks pregnant), and the front it read,
“Want to know something amazing?…”
(Then obviously someone opened the box)
“This pea is how big your second grandchild is!
Baby Wilhelm #2 due August, 2016″
Everybody loved it!!
So when we announced to friends and on social media, we waited a few more weeks so we could do a Valentine’s theme.
To create the space for this pregnancy announcement, we used:
- White craft paper (or sheets as a drop cloth could work well)
- Fake rose petals
- Valentine’s onesie paired with a tulle tutu I made for her
- Stuffed animals
- Ultrasound + frame
- A lemon (for 14 weeks!)
- Baby shoes
- Photo editing app
- Calendar with due date
- Friend for family pics
- Something gender related, if you know it! We did the blood test and found out Ella’s early.
- Anything related to holidays coming up (or not if that’s not your thing!)
- Baby toys (a rattle or rubber ducky would be cute)
All we did to create this space was literally tape the paper to the wall, run it all the way down, then out and put something heavy on the end. You’ll want to make sure you’re not getting the edges of the paper in the pictures.
The lighting in these wasn’t as good because it had been dreary for awhile and the house we lived in at the time let in exactly 2 rays of sunshine a day, but we did the best we could. Overall, we were happy with how they turned out.
Again, except for the watermark, these are completely unedited. At the time, I had an iPhone.
I love how much room for creativity there is here! If your family has a certain thing you love, you could easily use it in here. Sports teams, trucks, family hobbies (hiking, biking, etc.), or anything else you can think of!
What are your ideas for doing a budget-friendly pregnancy announcement? Tell me in the comments below!
Want more like this? Check these out:
What Nobody Tells You About Having A Doula (one of our most popular posts!)
Remember to pin this for later!
Thanks, my friend, and congratulations, again!