Webster’s dictionary defines a bucket list as:
A list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying.
It can almost be morbid if you take it that way, but I take it this way: God gave us exactly one life to live.
And we can either choose to do the absolute most with the years we have on this Earth, or we can squander it.
We can either look back one day when we’re old and have a mental list of things we wish we had done, or we can fondly recall the amazing things we did do that we always wanted to and be at peace that we lived our life to the fullest; whatever that means to us.
Time is either invested or wasted.
I’m far from old, but the older I have gotten, the more value I have found in how I use my time. I care more about not wasting hours watching tv because that’s a poor use of the only resource I can’t make more of: time.
I did the math once.
Joey and I have binge watched series on Hulu or Netflix. Say it was 10 seasons of Friends.
If it was 10 seasons of 15 episodes and each episode was 20 minutes, that’s 3,750 minutes, or 62.5 hours, and we all know Friends had more than 10 seasons.
The worst part was I know full well I’ve seen that series more times than I can count. So multiply 62.5 hours times at least 10 but probably more, so we’re really looking at 625 hours (at least).
That’s 26 full days of my life.
And that’s only one series and I was leaning towards the lower end of the numbers.
I’ve seen multiple series, multiple times, with much longer episodes, and it almost makes me cringe to think of the weeks, probably months of my life I have wasted sitting on my couch, engrossed in something that wasn’t even real and didn’t matter to my life. It didn’t add value. It just sucked my time into a black hole and it was never seen again.
What better ways could I have used my time?
I’ve shared in this post the 16 habits that changed my life when I was stuck in the kind of all ruts last summer and how I broke free from it.
On that same wavelength, one thing I have always had and loved the concept of was a bucket list, because it has always given me goals and a direction of my life, even when I wasn’t as intentional with my time as I should have been.
I’ve gotten a lot better since. Now we pretty much only use TV when we aren’t feeling well, or when Mommy is working. Otherwise, we do better things with our time; our kids included.
Bucket lists matter because when you go back to them, you see your goals and who you want to be all laid out before you.
And it forces you to ask yourself what you have done or what you’re actively doing to push you towards what you want to do and who you want to be.
I’m going to share most of mine with you in a minute to give you some bucket list ideas!
If you’re starting from scratch and don’t know where to begin, I want to encourage you to divide your list into sections (my type A is showing, I can’t help it).
My sections in my bucket list are:
- Fun & Fulfilling
- Lifestyle // For myself
Your sections can be similar or totally different, this is your bucket list! The idea is to just get your wheels turning on what big areas you want certain things out of, then go from there.
You might ask yourself some questions to get started:
- What are 5 things I have always wanted out of life?
- What do I always come back to?
- Do I have any desires that I have stifled?
- What has fear made me back down from?
- Have I ever reduced who I am to conform to the mold someone else has set for me?
- What are my passions?
- What things have been in my heart since I was a child?
Now comes the fun part! Brainstorm. All of it. Good, bad, big, small, fun ugly, NO LIMITATIONS because this is your life!!
If you need some bucket list ideas, take some inspiration from mine. Enjoy, my friend!
Bucket list ideas
•• Travel to every continent
•• Go to the Grand Canyon
•• See Niagara Falls
•• See the Rockettes
•• Visit New York at Christmas time
•• Spend Valentine’s Day in Rome or Paris
•• Go to Hawaii
•• See the bean in Chicago
•• Kiss under the Eiffel Tower
•• Visit the colosseum
•• Go to the mall of America
•• Travel by train through the United States
•• Go somewhere new once a year
•• Have a croissant and coffee in Paris with the Eiffel Tower in view
•• See through the water in the Caribbean
•• Stay in an underwater hotel
•• Eat real pizza in Italy
•• See the Colosseum
•• Watch the sunrise on the beach
•• Go on a cruise
•• Travel to all 50 states
•• See the Coral reef
•• Stand behind a waterfall
•• Go to Disney World
✔️ Yoga & coffee at sunrise in the mountains
✔️ Go to Dollywood
•• Ride in a helicopter
•• Dog sled
•• Ride in a hot air balloon
•• Go zorbing
•• Ride an elephant
•• Horseback ride on the beach
✔ Ride a camel
✔️ Have a large family
•• Live in a big farmhouse
•• Live to meet my great great grandchildren
•• Break the world record for the longest marriage (86 years)
•• Live to be at least 100
•• Adopt a baby
•• Spend Christmas in a cabin in the mountains
•• Raise a family in our dream house
•• Have a house with a pool
•• Raise a family that loves and serves the Lord
•• Do mission work in another country
•• Pass out roses at a nursing home
•• Be a foster parent
•• Be a Big Sister
Fun & fulfilling
•• Learn another language
•• Read a lot
✔️ Meet a celebrity
•• Do pottery
•• Learn how to blow glass
•• Get my triples pierced
•• Touch a dolphin
•• Indoor skydive
•• Go to a rodeo
•• Get really good at sewing
•• Get my cartilage pierced
•• Take a cooking class
✔️ Do a painting class
•• Learn how to knit
•• Learn how to crochet
•• Get really good at cake decorating
✔️ Be a bridesmaid
✔️ Marry the love of my life
✔️ Have a daughter (3, in my case ❤️)
✔️ Have a water birth
✔️ Become a better cook + create family recipes
•• Get out of debt & live debt-free
✔️ Go to a Skillet concert
•• Make a comfortable living working from home
Lifestyle // For myself
•• Live a healthy and active lifestyle and pass that on to our kids
•• Get in the best shape of my life and stay there
•• Get my doubles, triples & cartilage pierced
•• Own a cool sports car
•• Have a beautiful wardrobe
•• Learn how to shoot a gun well
•• Run a 10K
✔️ Be a healthy weight
•• Attend a birth
Some more awesome bucket list ideas (in no particular order):
- Open a bakery
- Buy a new sports car
- Live in another country
- Take flying lessons
- Hike Everest
- Run a marathon
- Learn how to surf
- Snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef
- Hang glide
- Touch an alligator (and live to tell!)
- Cliff jump
- Travel in a submarine
- Swim with dolphins
- Walk across the Sky Bridge in Gatlinburg
- Stay in an igloo
- Sheer a sheep
- Name a star
- Feed a koala
- Ride an elephant
- Be the lead in a play
- Sing a solo on stage
- Be a barista – long enough to learn how to make drinks
- Learn to truly forgive
- Buy a stranger’s coffee – or give them your second drink when they’re buy one get one free
- Go on a mission’s trip
- Be a surrogate
- Adopt a sibling set or older child
- Learn woodworking or woodburning
- Make a fairy garden
- Paint kindness rocks
- Be a published author – maybe even make the New York Times Best Sellers!
- Write a cookbook
- Go on a police ride-along
- Do genealogy and find out more about your roots
- Do balloon splatter painting like in Princess Diaries
- Tour a castle
- Ride in a double decker bus
- Get your bachelors/masters degree
- Learn to do calligraphy or faux calligraphy
- Make pottery
- Take a painting class
- Take a cooking class
- Learn how to cook gourmet food
- Be on a TV show
- Go to a movie premiere
- Attend Mardi Gras
- Go to a masquerade
- Immerse yourself in another culture
- Travel without a map (or phone!). Explore and get lost in a new city
- Rock climb – real rock climbing
- Sleep in a tent under the stars
- Go to a murder mystery dinner show
- Ride on a riverboat
- Travel the Mississippi River by boat
- Fly on a Trapeze
- Make amends
- Go to a Drive-In
- Have a beach or mountain wedding
- Learn to ballroom dance
- Sing on stage at a concert
- Learn to worship like it’s just you and Jesus. Don’t worry about what anyone is thinking
- Read classic novels
- Read Shakespear
- Completely change your hair
- Get a four-handed massage
- Or a hot stone massage!
- Get a massage outside at a resort
- Get a couples’ massage
- Stay in a bed and breakfast
- Go on a shopping spree
- Go to a red carpet event
- Bake homemade bread
- Create a secret family recipe
- Pray something big through
- Own a luxury purse or shoes
- Float in a no gravity tank
- Spend time in salt caves
- Go to a spa for a full spa day
- Get your eyebrows or eyeliner tattooed
- Find a carrier you absolutely love
- Hire a housekeeper
- Get out of debt and live completely debt-free
- See my favorite band in concert
- Lead someone to Jesus
- See a sunset from 30 floors high or more
- Sleep in a hammock
- Give immensely
- Be a friend to the friendless
- Buy a homeless person a meal. Sit with them while they eat. Listen to their story.
- Invent something and patent it
- Attend a live comedy show
- Have college accounts for all your kids and grandkids
- Own a vacation home
- Sip a drink from a coconut on a beach
- Travel all expenses paid
- Attend a cake tasting
- Drink Brazillian coffee
- Bake perfect chocolate chip cookies
- Go all out decorating for Christmas
- Cook a Thanksgiving dinner
- Create latte art
- Love the ones closest to you your whole being. Show up for them well.
- Pray every single day
- Attend a tea party
- Jump in a giant bouncy house
- Get your nose pierced
- Try another culture’s cuisine that is completely out of your comfort zone
- Go vegetarian or vegan for one month
- Listen to classical music or read poetry with the intention of appreciating it. What was the author thinking or feeling when they wrote it?
- Soak in a sunrise. Appreciate the way the pinks, purples, and oranges blend with no real stops or starts. Think how cool it is that God gives us unique ones every single day to enjoy.
- Look at snowflakes up close. Think about how you are as unique as that snowflake, and marvel at God’s creation a little more.
- Journal real, intention gratitude every day. Train your mind to look for it in everything.
- Create a morning and evening routine. Do them daily.
- Try yoga outdoors or with baby goats
- Do aerial flying
- Eat on a rooftop
- Get a tattoo
- Throw a surprise party
- Sew something that can be worn
- Slide down a fireman’s pole
- Eat real cuisine from a culture in that place (like real pizza in Italy or real baklava in Greece)
- Participate in a book exchange
- Participate in a secret sister exchange
- Host a child in another country (look up One Child Matters!)
- Donate clothes to a foster closet
- Put a handprint or footprint in wet cement
- Flip pizza dough in the air
- Eat with chopsticks
- Leave a generous tip for a waitress in a diner
- Try every cheesecake on the Cheesecake Factory menu
- Make homemade pasta
- Make homemade ice cream
- Try a s’mores with a Reese’s cup (the dark thins are the best!)
- Kiss on top of a Ferris wheel
- Do a slingshot ride
- Ride the Kingda Ka
- Go berry picking
- Plant a garden
- Do an escape room
- Do ax throwing
- Host a murder mystery party
- Make homemade pastries
- Learn to make homemade pie crust
- Try a deep-fried Oreo
- Try a deep-fried Snickers
- Release guilt in all its forms
- Ditch bad habits